StudentsWhether you are already a nutrition and dietetics student or you are exploring your options, we welcome you to the Alabama Dietetic Association (ALDA) website! This page contains a brief introduction of the steps to becoming a registered dietitian and also includes education and scholarship opportunities available here in Alabama.
We encourage you to also visit the Student page on the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics's website for additional information on careers, internships, and certifications, in food and nutrition, as well as scholarships and preparation aids for registration examinations.
What is a Registered Dietitian (RD)?
A registered dietitian is a food and nutrition expert. RDs are employed in a wide variety of settings. Most RDs work as clinical dietitians focusing on the treatment and prevention of disease through medical nutrition therapy. RDs also work in the community and public health sector. Many RDs go on to teach at universities and conduct research. Also with nutrition being a growing trend today, many more RDs are finding employment in media, journalism, sports nutrition, and corporate wellness programs.
Do you like science, the culinary arts, sociology, and business management? Do you want to work with professional athletes, help underprivileged children, or motivate cancer patients? Registered dietitians have it all!
Requirements/Steps to Become an RD:
- Completed a minimum of a bachelor’s degree at a US regionally accredited university or college and course work accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND®) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Completed an ACEND®-accredited supervised practice program at a health-care facility, community agency, or a foodservice corporation or combined with undergraduate or graduate studies. Typically, a practice program will run six to 12 months in length.
- Passed a national examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). For more information regarding the examination, refer to CDR’s website at www.cdrnet.org.
- Completed continuing professional educational requirements to maintain registration.
ADA Foundation Scholarships for Alabama
Alabama Dietetic Association ($1000) - Juniors / Dietetics Majors. Established in 1979, this scholarship is presented in honor of the outgoing Alabama State President. An award of $1000 is awarded yearly to an undergraduate, (Junior) dietetics students holding residence in Alabama.
Alabama Memorial Scholarship ($500) - Graduate / Dietetics. This scholarship fund was established in 1981. Each year the scholarship is named in memory or in honor of a person designated by the ALDA organization. The scholarship is funded through donations from ALDA and private individuals. Recipients must be admitted to or in present pursuit of a program of graduate study in dietetics or a related field in a regionally accredited college or university within Alabama. The selection criteria are 1) professional potential; 2) academic achievement; 3) financial need.
Additional ALDA Awarded Scholarships
- William E. Smith / Royal Cup Coffee ($1,000) - Full-time Graduate Students
- Wood Fruitticher Grocery Co. ($1,000) - Seniors / Graduate (Full or Part-time)
- North Alabama District Dietetic Association ($500) - Alabama Dietetics Students/Interns
- S.E. Alabama Dietetic Association ($500) - Senior Internship/Graduate
- Birmingham District Dietetic Association Scholarship ($500) - Graduate Student/Interns
- Tuskegee District Dietetic Association Scholarship ($300)
- Mobile District Dietetic Association Scholarship ($200)
Applications will be accepted until midnight on Friday, February 10, 2017.
Scholarship and award recipients will be recognized during the Alabama Dietetic Association Meeting in Montgomery at the business luncheon.
ALDA Scholarship Forms
Scholarships are available for both undergraduate and graduate studies in nutrition and dietetics. Visit the The Academy site at for further information regarding scholarships available at the national level.
Scholarship Criteria (Doc)
The upload box below is for program directors, department heads, or faculty advisers wishing to submit recommendation letters themselves. *Students do not resubmit letters here if you submitted above.
Scholarship Form (Doc)